Preparation for Life & Work
The Key Skills Team is one of Nescot’s biggest successes. We work across all departments to help students get the maximum benefit from their courses as well as providing English for speakers of other languages, Adult Literacy and Numeracy programmes and access to FE courses. One of the things we are most proud of is the level of achievement we get from our students. We believe this is a result of our high quality teaching which has been graded at level 2 by Ofsted.
The staff in the Skills For Life Department are all highly qualified in our fields. We are not only specialists in literacy and numeracy but also in Information Technology and Computing. This means that we have the expertise to develop creative ways of teaching. We are a young, innovative team and we believe that every student is an individual with different ways of learning. We work hard to build a close relationship with your family and we assess you personally and teach you what you need to know in ways that work best for you.
We are based on the top floor of the LRC, giving us access to fantastic computer suites and IT facilities. We have off college sites where we bring our teaching to hard-to-reach members of the community and also run a virtual college site, which means you get access to learning materials from anywhere with an internet enabled computer.
Links With Other Departments and Organisations
As well as working across the college, with all departments, the Key Skills team believes in putting the skills we teach into context. We do this through skill building activities like quizzes, and presentations, trips to museums and attractions like the Houses of Parliament, and by taking you through the processes of getting employed and applying for work experience with prestigious companies.
Our courses not only build the skills you will need for the rest of your life but all of them lead to external accreditations that make you immediately more employable and give you more options in education.
Our teaching is designed to show you how to present yourself and your work as well as possible and be confident in your professional conduct. We are experts at identifying the best routes to success for our students and we tailor your learning to your individual abilities. Because we do our testing online, you can take exams when you are ready and will rapidly see the benefits of our courses in your education and your day-to-day life.
- Anita Webster
- Transition into Employment (TIE) - Entry Level 3
(Lynn has checked) (picture ready)
I really enjoy my course and I feel happy at Nescot. I already knew some people at the college so I'd heard it was a nice place. I'm glad I came here. I do a lot of English on my course, which I like, and a lot of maths, which I don't like, but the teachers always help you when it's hard. I have learning difficulties and the staff always support me.
I've done different work placements on my course, which our tutors help us to arrange. I went to The Hub in Epsom and played monopoly with people who came in, which was nice because I like meeting new people. Then I worked in the post room at Premium Credit in Epsom, and I got on with all the people there.
I would say to anyone thinking about coming to Nescot that they should definitely come here. You don't get bored at all, you do interesting things all the time and the day goes really quickly.
- Previous students have either chosen to take their learning further or have gone on to become valued employees at well known businesses and organisations.
- By the time you leave us you will have learned what it is to be part of a productive team, using your skills to make a valuable contribution to your community.
- We believe our job is to get you ready for the wider world and we will give you all the tools you need to succeed.
- We join with employers to find real work experiences for you, where you can put the skills we have taught you into practice in your community.
- We prepare you for the outside world through innovative collaborations with businesses and local organisations.
- Foundation Learning programmes are run across all the departments at Nescot and, as such, make full use of our fantastic facilities. One of the college’s real strengths is the quality of its staff. Most of our lecturers have solid industry experience, which means up-to-date knowledge and great contacts.
- Ofsted Grade 2 for our teaching.
- Every programme leads to an externally accredited qualification which gives you access to level 1 courses. We believe in providing you with real evidence of your success that you can take to any employer or college in the country.