If you have a passion for cookery and excellent customer service, Hospitality and Catering could be the career for you. The industry offers a variety of job opportunities and career pathways, including:
- Hotels - There are more than 12,000 hotels in the UK with a workforce of 262,000 people, providing accommodation for millions of guests each year.
- Restaurants - The UK’s restaurant industry is extremely diverse and employs 709,700 people.
- Food service management - also known as contract catering, this is the outsourcing of food services to organisations such as schools, banks and museums.
- Events - The events industry is one of the most exciting in the hospitality industry, employing 19,500 people. With a career in events, you could find yourself working anywhere, from Reading Festival to the BAFTAs.
- Visitor attractions - Millions of visitors flock to theme parks and visitor attractions in the UK each year, and as an employee it’s your job is to make sure they have fun! The industry also includes theme parks, zoos, exhibition centres and seaside attractions.
- Pubs, bars and nightclubs - You’ll meet many people in a fast-paced, busy environment, meaning no two days are ever the same. Many pubs also function as a restaurant, so this industry offers a diverse environment with plenty of career paths, ranging from chefs, bar managers and waiters.
WHAT YOU COULD DO...
- Bar person
- Cake decorator
- Catering manager
- Consumer scientist
- Counter service assistant
- Food processing worker
- Food scientist-food technologist
- Kitchen porter/assistant
- Kitchen porter
- Mobile catering assistant
- Restaurant manager
- Vending machine operative
- Waiting staff