Preparation for Life & Work
The Preparation for Life and Work Department is staffed by an experienced, innovative team who will help you develop and reach your full potential.
What To Expect
• Courses for learners who have mild to moderate learning difficulties and/or disabilities and those who have no formal qualifications or are not in formal education.
• Personalised learning plans to meet your employment and training needs and aspirations.
• A programme of the three functional skills in English, Maths and ICT together with accredited Personal & Social Development units.
• Teaching which has been graded as Good (Grade 2) by Ofsted.
• Qualifications that show evidence of your success, which you can take to any employer or college in the country. Every programme leads to an externally accredited qualification which gives you access to Level 1 courses.
• We prepare you for the outside world through the work experience opportunities that you will undertake.
• Take on exciting work experiences. Nescot works with companies and organisations including Holiday Inn, Epsom and Ewell Borough Council, Premier Inns, Horton Country Park, Epsom Race course and other local employers.
• Experience being part of a productive team and use your skills to make a valuable contribution to your community.
• Regular trips, such as the South of England show at Ardingly, where the students were awarded Overall Winners title in 2010 and to Hampton Court.
• Our students have gone on to join teams working in HR at Epsom Town Hall, caring for the community at The Longmead Centre and at Epsom Downs’ Holiday Inn Hotel.
- Amy Sherratt
- Life Skills, Entry Level
Why did you decide to come to Nescot?
I was terrified when I first came to Nescot because I didn’t know a single person here but my course is really good and I learn a bit of everything: Cookery, Horticulture and one-to-one literacy and numeracy.
What have you enjoyed most?
I’ve learned so much but the best bit is being able to mingle with everybody and make so many friends. One of the things that made me really proud and happy was when my whole class actually voted me in as Class Rep this year.
How has your time here changed you?
You wouldn’t recognise me! I was completely different when I first came here. I used to be really nervous about meeting people and get very anxious but now I’m a chatterbox. My confidence has grown so much.
What is the best thing about the college?
It’s a lovely place to grow into yourself and you find out you can do so much it surprises you. The staff are great, they’re helpful but they expect a lot from you too.
- Previous students have either chosen to take their learning further or have gone on to become valued employees at well known businesses and organisations.
- By the time you leave us you will have learned what it is to be part of a productive team, using your skills to make a valuable contribution to your community.
- We believe our job is to get you ready for the wider world and we will give you all the tools you need to succeed.
- We join with employers to find real work experiences for you, where you can put the skills we have taught you into practice in your community.
- We prepare you for the outside world through innovative collaborations with businesses and local organisations.
- Foundation Learning programmes are run across all the departments at Nescot and, as such, make full use of our fantastic facilities. One of the college’s real strengths is the quality of its staff. Most of our lecturers have solid industry experience, which means up-to-date knowledge and great contacts.
- Ofsted Grade 2 for our teaching.
- Every programme leads to an externally accredited qualification which gives you access to level 1 courses. We believe in providing you with real evidence of your success that you can take to any employer or college in the country.