As well as being industry qualified, the Sports Department’s staff are high level performers, members of national coaching squads and sports psychology coaches for elite performers. We are a young, innovative team who are always developing ways of bringing your learning to life. The range of courses we offer provide pathways to careers working in sports and related industries such as teaching, therapies, coaching and youth work.
We continue to develop our Higher Education courses in the department and our outstanding facilities attract learners in growing numbers each year. We offer progression routes for newcomers to the industry who are beginning their career, through to professional development for those with established career paths.
Working with Other Departments and Organisations
We take advantage of other areas of expertise at Nescot to revitalise your learning. We use our Osteopathy department’s state of the art software and organise a number of trips with the Travel & Tourism department.
We try to fit your learning into the real world and you will find yourself involved in sports coaching and fitness classes for all age groups and abilities in your community. We also work with disabled groups and schools to give you a full view of the opportunities on offer in sport. Your Sport and your Education
One of the real strengths of this department is the support we can provide to our elite and high level athletes – we actively encourage all our students to get involved in sport as athletes and coaches and we provide the support to ensure you fulfill your potential.
We make arrangements to work with your training and competition schedules. This means that you do not have to sacrifice your education for a promising sporting career. We will work with you to ensure that you keep all your options open. We can even tailor your learning to enhance your sporting performance, while still ensuring you gain vital qualifications.
The department runs a Football Development Squad which plays at a high level. Nescot also has a full enrichment programme including the opportunity to play on male and female football squads and a basketball team amongst a host of other sports and activities. In addition to our extensive outdoor facilities, we also have a fully equipped Gym, Sports Hall and Sports Therapy Room.
Nescot has the facilities to train you to become a sports coach, fitness instructor, sports injury therapist or personal trainer and this wide range of expertise can benefit you in unexpected ways. As a Sports student, for example, you will have free use of our Sports Injury Clinic to help you quickly and safely recover from any sporting injury.
Our team are practising sports therapists, working with such high level squads as the GB Lions, Britain’s national American football team, Surrey Cricket Club and a host of elite and club level athletes. We have experience in all areas of the sports industry, from fitness and personal training to competing at international level track athletics, and we use this understanding to fully prepare our students for success in their chosen career.
As professionals in the industry, we recognise the importance of training you with the latest technology and working practices. Our facilities include a dedicated, student-run, sports injury teaching clinic with couches, equipment and teaching and observation areas, where you will treat students suffering sporting injuries. We are also fortunate enough to be able to collaborate with our colleagues in the Osteopathy department, sharing our expertise and the latest diagnostic software.
Working with Other Departments and Organisations
We believe it is important to prepare you as fully as possible for professional practice. You will test your skills working with elite and club athletes, dancers and performers, and in private practice for treating everyone from the elderly to ante and post natal clients. We also incorporate training for the National Academy of Sports Medicine Personal Training Award in the course so you will be fully qualified to work as a personal trainer before you have even finished studying.
You could find yourself giving pre and post marathon massages to charity fundraisers, treating dancers and performers before and after shows and working pitch-side at big sporting events.
Our passion for our industry is one part of our effectiveness as a department, but we believe that what really sets us apart is our student-centred approach. We understand the demands of family and working life and different learning styles and we see your success as a collaboration between our efforts and yours. We keep our class sizes small to give you maximum support from your tutors, who also have an open door policy during college hours and are available on email at any time.
This approach works well at Nescot - borne out by the fact that an incredible 98% of our students go on to take their education even further and are working at the highest levels throughout the sporting world.
As the world of sports therapy gears up for its imminent acceptance by the Health Professionals Council as a recognised medical profession, the exacting yet supportive training available at Nescot will prepare you to take your place at the forefront of this exciting industry.
- Shannon Matchett
- Sport: Level 3 Extended Diploma
What made you decide to do Sport at Nescot?
The college is close to home so I knew it had a good reputation. I also have friends here who recommended it to me. I knew I wanted to be sports physio so this course was the clear choice.
How has the college lived up to your expectations?
It’s been everything I wanted.
And your course?
I thought it would be more practical but we really go into the theory here too, much more than I expected. Through this course I now know I can do a lot more than I realised before. We have our eyes opened to things like teaching, personal training and nutrition. I’m a swimmer and have competed in the Nationals and international competitions but I didn’t realise how big a field sport is and how many options are open to you. I was also offered a job after a work experience placement at a gym. This course has really opened doors for me.
How has your time at Nescot changed you as a person?
Well, I have a job! I’m still pretty much the same, just a bit more confident because of all the presentations we have to do and I’ve broadened my horizons from meeting so many different people.
What advice would you have for anyone thinking of doing your course?
Expect a lot of work. People think, because you get to wear your own clothes and it’s a more grown up environment, that college is easy and relaxed. It’s not. The workload is manageable as long as you stay disciplined and keep on top of it. In a more adult environment you’ll be expected to learn to take more responsibility for your work, work independently and be prepared to put in the study in your free time. If you do that you’ll get a lot out of this course. It gets you ready to do well at uni and work.
What are your plans for the future?
I’d love to travel before going to university to study Physio or Nutrition but I’ll have to plan my finances. My dream job would be to be part of a world class team - maybe even a swimming team – as their physio.
- Male Football Academy Squad finished in the top half of the Elite British Colleges League in our 2nd season of this competition, comprising of college teams associated with Premier League football clubs
- Lecturers use state-of-the-art diagnostic software as used by osteopaths.
- Students are assessed in sports coaching, fitness instructing and sports therapy with all age groups and abilities in your community. We work with disabled groups, schools and the elderly as well as athletes to give you a full view of opportunities in sport and gain valuable experience to aid employment opportunities.
- Additional qualifications to become a qualified sports coach, fitness instructor and first aider are taken as part of these courses.
- Free use of our Sports Injury Clinic to help you quickly and safely recover from any sporting injury.
- Unlike other colleges, we have the facilities to teach sports coaching, fitness instructing, sports injury therapy or personal training all within one department.
- Extensive outdoor facilities, we also have a fully equipped Gym, Sports Hall and Sports Therapy Room.
- Full enrichment programme including the opportunity to play on male and female football squads, a basketball team and a rugby team amongst a host of other sports and activities.
- We work with your training and competition schedules so you do not have to sacrifice your education for a promising sporting career. We can even tailor your learning to enhance your sporting performance, ensuring you still gain vital qualifications.
- Elite and high level athletes – we actively encourage all our students to get involved in sport as athletes and coaches and we provide the back up to ensure you fulfil your potential.
- Course lecturers have competed in European Championship Athletics competitions, and are sports therapists for GB Lions American Football team and for Grenadian International Football team - this year working with the team in the CONCAF Gold Cup in the USA. A member of staff was Taekwondo double silver medallist at the World Championships in 2009 and is a 1st degree black belt for International Taekwondo Federation and another coaches elite performers in sports psychology.