Contact Us | Working at Nescot | Student / Staff Log In

Student Profile

Kenny - Carpentry and Joinery apprentice

Oct 15, 2015

I’ve always wanted to get into carpentry, and I was given the opportunity to learn a trade through work. Nescot is a really great place to study and I recommend it to everyone. The teaching is brilliant - you learn at your own pace, and they do challenge you but they’re always there to help you if you need it.

Because I’m doing an apprenticeship, I was asked to help out at an event Nescot was running to help schoolchildren find out more about apprenticeships. I really enjoyed it. The pupils asked me a lot about what it’s like being an apprentice, and I hope I helped them understand the different options they have.

I love everything about carpentry. I like how you’ve got to work things out properly to do the job right. For example, if you’re working on a project and you need a particular technique to finish it then you have to learn it, you can’t just guess. I like how you have to be really accurate - more so than in other trades. In our trade, a few millimetres here and there really matters so you have to have really good attention to detail. The tutors at Nescot make sure you understand the difference it makes to your work and to the job as a whole. I love seeing a project through from the start to the end, and you don’t get that in all trades.

I’m a bit older than some people on the course, but I’ve never felt awkward or been treated any differently because of it. I know some people hesitate about going back to college, but I always tell people to go for it. You’re never too old, it’s never too late to start a new career or gain new skills, and you never know where it’s going to take you.