Contact Us | Working at Nescot | Student / Staff Log In

Student Profile

Leah - Level 3 Year 1 Uniformed Public Services

Oct 15, 2015

I want to join the police, because I like helping people. I’m a police cadet, but I wanted to study Uniformed Public Services to learn about all the underpinning knowledge. I visited a few open days, but when I came to Nescot it felt like the right place for me. Everyone was really helpful and friendly and the course looked really interesting. I definitely made the right choice.

We do a lot of trips, and one of them is right at the start of the year. At first I felt pretty nervous about going away with people I didn’t know, but it was amazing. The experience made us all bond really well, and it gave me the confidence to know I can cope in new situations with people I don’t know, and that’s a useful skills for a police officer.

So far this year we’ve had visits from London Ambulance Service and the Metropolitan Police Service’s Dog Unit, visited the Houses of Parliament and the Imperial War Museum, done coasteering in Dorset and learnt survival skills. I love the drill we do every week, and the unit we did on police powers was my favourite so far. The visits from people working in the services has been great too, because you learn so much from speaking to people doing the jobs you’re aiming to do in the future. There’s a lot of emphasis on careers at Nescot, which I think is really important.