Contact Us | Working at Nescot | Student / Staff Log In

Student Profile

Liam - Level 3 Year 2 Music Technology

Oct 15, 2015

Liam - Level 3 Year 2 Music Technology

I started out making music with my friend but I didn’t think seriously about a career in the industry. I visited Nescot and saw the facilities they had, and met the teaching staff and came away feeling that I had decided what I was going to do with my life. I never really realised before how much doing something you want to do can affect how well you do. Your motivation just goes through the roof.

The units we’ve done have all been based on things we could be doing in our careers. We did a radio show, live DJ sets, set up a sound system, we did sound design and soundtracks for film, worked with Media students to make a music video, and made a four-track EP. At the end of the year we’ll be doing Nestival, which is a festival held at college with live DJing. We all have really different tastes in music, from dubstep and hiphop to house and grime, which pushes us to learn from each other. You don’t need to be able to play an instrument or read music, you just need a love of electronic music, and then they can teach you the rest. The facilities and the equipment is amazing, there’s everything you need from when you’re an absolute beginner to expert stuff.

When I started the course I knew nothing about music technology. It’s hard to describe how much you learn. My tutor, Neil, is brilliant - he seems to know everything about music and about the industry. It really helps to have teachers who have been there and done that, because you can learn from their experience. They also have really different experience and knowledge from each other. I’ve gone from knowing nothing about sounds to being able to listen to any sound and make it from scratch. For the movie soundtrack we worked on I made the sound of a helicopter just on the computer. I never even knew that was possible before. I want to be a music producer in the future, or maybe a sound designer for games.