Contact Us | Working at Nescot | Student / Staff Log In

Student Profile

Robyn - Level 3 Year 1 Hair

Oct 27, 2015

Robyn - Level 3 Year 1 Hair

I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do when I finished school, but when I came to look around Nescot I was impressed by the hairdressing department and the college as a whole - it seemed like somewhere I’d be happy. I started on Level 2 and progressed to Level 3. You start on hairdressing heads first, and then move on to clients when you’re ready. It’s scary when you take your first clients, but the teachers are really supportive, and they’re there if you have any questions. They always remind us that every hairdresser has a first client.

Level 3 is more involved, but also more creative, and you learn a lot more techniques. I really like the practical side of colouring, and my favourite unit on the course so far was probably Create an Image. I’ve got a part-time job in a salon, and I’m hoping I can get a full-time job there when I finish my course. My experience at college means I get my own clients, rather than just doing the shampooing. Our tutors encourage us to get as much work experience as possible.

One of the best things about training at Nescot is that you have real, paying hairdressing clients. It means you get a lot of experience working with different hair types as well as different kinds of people. It looks really good on your CV. Although you focus on the theory and practical of hairdressing, there’s also a lot of emphasis on things like customer service, dealing with tricky clients, and what employers will expect of you. I wasn’t sure about hairdressing when I applied for the course at Nescot, but now I couldn’t imagine doing anything else.